With all the great things that dance music has to offer there is also comes much internal drama.
To be fair, much of this drama is not exclusive to issues of electronic music. Fans have been calling artists sell outs ever since music and business collided, but in the electronic scene there is a particular angst amongst many of its figures:EDM vs underground; RA vs DJ mag; digital vs. vinyl, and that’s just the beginning.
With that, a recent Reddit thread caught our eye, in that it proves that we may have been bitching about the exact same things for years. Submitted by user Chiafriend12, it is titled “What kind of things in electronic music did people complain about 15 years ago? 20 years ago?” and, though mildly dated (Napster, DJ Keoki), shows the seedlings of concern in what now can reach the blogosphere in the blink of an eye.
Obviously, the language and descriptions here are far from profound (there’s A LOT that “sucks” or “is gay”), but if only for nostalgia’s sake, the thread can bring back some interesting memories. The following are the most popular complaints from the thread.
– Front 242 isn’t industrial music.
– House music is gay.
– Techno is gay.
– Techno is just a fad, when it dies down everything will go back to industrial.
– Breakbeat hardcore is stupid music.
– Warp’s Artifiicial Intelligence series is just bland techno.
– Happy hardcore and gabber suck.
– “Intelligent Dance Music” is a stupid term.
– Moby sucks and is a sell out.
– Jungle is stupid music.
– “Superstar” DJ Keoki is a massive jerk, can’t mix, and passed out behind the decks because he did so many drugs.
– Nine Inch Nails isn’t industrial. Also, Trent Reznor sucks and is a sell out.
– Vocals and MC’s in drum n bass suck.
– Napster is killing music.
– Basic Channel is boring and IDM is better.
– Teebee hates Soulseek and is going to take a baseball bat to the knees of people who are leaking his dubplates.
– Paul Oakenfold sucks and is a sell out.
– Epic/uplifting trance sucks.
– DJs who use Pioneer CDJs suck and have no skills.
– These internet “netlabels” suck and are killing music.
– Big beat sucks and Fat Boy Slim is a sell out.
– Sasha sucks and is a sell out with a cocaine habit.
– Daft Punk suck and are sell outs.
– Tiesto sucks and is a sell out.
– LTJ Bukem sucks and is a despicable label boss.
– Vinyl is dying.
– Industrial is dead.